John, these aren't my fish to fry; this endeavor belongs primarily to Canadian
OSM volunteers with optimistic attitudes who have the courage to envision a
finish line of mighty and pride-inspiring results into existence.  Being
encouraging, my feeling is it IS possible to reach consensus across Canada.  It
might be rough going at first, it might seem like the iterative process is
taxing or even exhausting at times (especially early on in the project, as it
is now), yet patience, the realization that when you bite off a nationwide data
importation you'll have to chew (and chew and chew and chew...) before you can
swallow a bit and recognize some important milestone of progress, but I am 100%
certain Canada can and will get there.  It is already in the process of doing
so, and while "sausage making can be a mess!" I'm sure there are many who look
forward to delicious results.  Be heartened and courageous, be optimistic and
visionary.  If or as you don't, others will (and already have).  Keep up the
good work, everybody!

SteveA
(who usually doesn't like to be simply a cheerleader, though sometimes it helps)