Hi Richard

Am Dienstag, 29. Juli 2008 12:38:53 schrieb Richard Fairhurst:

> I've seen several threads on talk-de complaining about Potlatch but
> not one single person actually committing patches.

I think that most people writing in talk-de are using josm, and so potlatch is
not on their focus. The only moment when they get in touch with potlatch is
when editing the osm-data with josm and seeing the editor string.

Another fact is, that potlatch is an "instant editing" tool, which rookies
seems to prefer. So complaining about potlatch could mean complainig about
rookies and theire way of editing osm data. Rookies using josm could also
harm existing data. It seems that they frequently don't use the download
button before entering new data. As a konsequence some ways are uploaded
double.
Regarding potlatch rookies seem to prefer working in lower zoom levels. So it
often happens, that new ways are not proper conected to existing ones. I'm
not sure of how to prevent the rookies from doing so. May be a zoom level
depend snap-in function? (not knowing if such thing is still implemented but
to fine adjusted).

> I'm genuinely
> puzzled - how do you think there are going to be any improvements if
> you don't muck in and help? Who do you think is actually going to do
> them? Even if you expect me to do it all, you haven't even been
> discussing it on a list that I can read.

Take it easy. You are the man which catches the walk-in customers, and our
task would be to teach them how to use the different osm toolsets. :-)

Cheers Andreas