Thanks Paul. I'm game to try it next Thursday.

btw, trains run every 10 mins through 5 ways on the cross city line during
the day until 7pm. later they hicupp being at either 10 min or 20 min
intervals mostly until the last train back to New Street at just before
midnight. Timetable below.
http://www.londonmidland.com/download/14742/lichfield-sutton-coldfield-birmi
ngham-longbridge-redditch/

Cheers