From: Andrew Mackenzie [mailto:a.macken...@bethere.co.uk]
Sent: 31 August 2012 11:13
To: Andy Robinson
Cc: talk-gb-westmidlands@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-gb-westmidlands] [Talk-GB] UK Postcodes -
Potential data source

Hi all

there is another approach, which is to download the data for all
companies in the UK from Companies House. This became available as
free public data in July.

The full address and postcode is there along with a URI (not the
same as the company number).

I prefer this approach to private house sales because

- companies want to be found

- there isn't a privacy issue from address being matched to other
data to identify individuals  (although that will happen)

- OSM has less complete business listings than Google maps. For SMEs
the company address and business premises will often be the same.

- connecting OSM location data with Open Corporates
http://opencorporates.com/ would enhance both services.

The data is listed alphabetically.  Would be useful to group them
geographically and extract the West Midlands addresses. It's not
difficult to extract the column for URIs, which gives the link to
the Companies House web page for the company.

Download the data from
http://download.companieshouse.gov.uk/en_output.html

Andrew