Peter Childs <pchi...@bcs.org> writes:

>>>I decided that what would be fun to implement is a routing algorithm
>>>that can find the best (shortest or quickest) route between any two
>>>OSM highway nodes. I know that there are other routing algorithms
>>>available but this started as an intellectual exercise so I developed
>>>my own. It seemed to work so I added a fancy web front end to it and
>>>put it on a server.
>>>
>>>http://www.gedanken.org.uk/mapping/router/router.html

> Neat, there seam to be a lot of good routing method appearing for OSM.
> All with interesting differences over what the commersial sources
> produce, (eg Google, Multimap, etc) Not usually wrong but different,
>
> Does anyone know of any Routing code thats Open Source.
>
> Is there any way to encourage the system to use Dual Carriage Way
> Primary Roads over Single Carriage Way Primary Roads (or in this case
> Seconday) eg eg A289 vs B2108 is Strood, Kent.

Encouraging dual-carriageway rather than single will need some way of
detecting one rather than the other.  Perhaps lanes=n (n>1) and
oneway=true would work if enough people tag them like that.

For the problem of preferring primary roads instead of secondary I
already have a solution but not an implementation (yet).

Instead of a checkbox to allow or disallow a particular type of
highway there would be a percentage preference.  This means that you
could set primary roads to 100% and secondary roads to 50%.  When
planning the route and there is a choice between the two then the
secondary will only be taken if the route is less than 50% of the
length of the primary.  In general a highway type with a weighting of
W% would appear 100/W times as long as it really is.

> Also people seam to have used Trunk and Primary interchangeable. what
> is meant to be the difference.

For the UK this is simple:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Map_Features#Highway

--