>> By putting the Postcode in we are supply OSM with the postcode to be
>> able to give that street a post code, same goes for streets.
>>

> Rather than having the postcode in a separate "addr:postcode" tag for each
> building on the street, I would think it would be better to tag the street
> itself with the postcode and then somehow link the buildings with the
> street (relations?)

Postcodes are organised in hierarchical areas, so should really be
mapped with enclosed areas, like administrative boundaries, rather than
on nodes or ways.
eg:
SN contains SN1, SN2, SN3
SN1 contains SN13, SN14, SN15
SN13 contains SN13_1AB, SN13_2PQ

A lowest level postcode (SN13_2PQ) is not unique for a node, as multiple
dwellings will have the same postcode, so this leads to having multiple
tags for what is essentially a single data item, a postcoded area of land.

Marking postcodes on a way could be problematic, as there can be
different postcodes on opposite sides of a road.