I have had a reply from a chap at the Crown Estates to my FOI request
about coastal boundaries.  He confirms that coastal council boundaries
are at the mean low water mark.  Some councils lease some of the
foreshore from Crown Estates, some from other landlords and some
councils own the land outright, but all administer the land to the low
water mark.

He offers that someone can visit their London office to view their GIS
system to see what land they own and where it is leased to councils.
I'm not sure quite what we might get out of this, but it would probably
be interesting, so if anyone is interested let me know.

Cheers, Chris