Peter Reed wrote:

Of the authorities I have managed to measure, the following all show more road mapped than the DfT believes exists:

Having mapped every road in Hull (Kingston-upon-Hull since today is a Sunday), some are fairly new and may not appear on the DfT figures.  How did you account for dual carriageways?  If you counted both carriageways and DfT only counted the road once that might account for some the difference.  Some of the dual carriageways in Hull use the dual_carriageway relation, though not all - I confess that I gave up adding it when it seemed to be completely unused.

Cheers, Chris