Peter Miller wrote:

On 23 Aug 2009, at 15:50, Chris Hill wrote:

Peter Miller wrote:

On 22 Aug 2009, at 12:03, Chris Hill wrote:

Well I'm pleased that they agree with me, but I'm not the oracle!  This is another source quoting the same general information.  Do the Scottish and Northern Irish counties generally extend to the low water mark too? Drawing from the NPE maps seems to be our only reasonable source for the low water mark.

Great stuff.

Low water does however change much more rapidly that high water so NPE is the 'least good' source of that date as it is 50 years old. If one is fortunate enough to have detailed enough recent aerial photography that that should be used.
The biggest problem with aerial photos is that you don't know what the state of the tide was at the moment the photo was taken.  You can sometimes guess a high water mark on a beach by the strand line, but low water is always covered except at low water.

So we need to commission a satellite to take photos every 30 minutes for a 12 hour period for the whole of the UK at the appropriate time of the lunar cycle - we haven't even discussed if we are should be using neap times or spring tides or the mean of the two.

But really, I think we are starting to spit hairs here!
Britain has a huge tidal range.  Just think of the difference of high and low water at Morecambe bay or around the Wash.

The fact remains that aerial photography is not suitable for every job.

But you are free, of course, to use the level of accuracy that suits you.

Cheers, Chris