Peter Childs wrote:
2009/8/26 Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com>:

On 26 Aug 2009, at 10:08, Chris Hill wrote:

The orange (maybe brownish) roads can be secondary, tertiary or
unclassified.  I've compared the NPE roads to some roads that I know well
and they cover what I would say are secondary, tertiary or unclassified.
Secondary have reference numbers.

I guess its back to the beer method.... I can find about 9 roads in
Gravesend alone that I think ought to be re-classified on OSM

I need to do some ground work before going ahead, as I'm sure some of
them have (or should have) B numbers

Ground work is the only sure way to find what's really there with the roads.
Its becoming to feel like Highways have given up handing out new roads
numbers (and removing old unnecessary ones)

>From what I can work out the Use of Green Signs on A roads has nothing
to do with classification and more to do with who put it up and who
maintains the road. (Highways or Local Council) A similar line being
used with B Roads.

I mean if you look at the A2 it looks and feels like a Motor Way (Hard
Shoulder, Slipways, 70MPH) all the way till Wilmington it just happens
that Tractors and Learners are aloud to use it (I would not advise it
however). Many bits of the M2 beyond Gillingham are actually smaller
(Only two lanes).

I just tag what I find - I can't second-guess the planners :-)
Oh and the Blackwall Tunnel is the A102(M) so needs a reclassification
as well (By the other set of rules), Which is just plain silly

Peter.

Oh and what do I do about the fact that the M20 is also the E15
E-routes get marked with a relation, so ref=M20, and add the road to the E15 relation: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/103222

Cheers, Chris