One of the airfields I flew from was a base for the OS photo surveying
unit.  They had a 'plane which had been modified to have a downward
pointing, very expensive camera built into the fuselage.  They could
then fly long straight strips, taking overlapping photos and then taking
overlapping strips.  The pilots didn't stay long - it was a very
difficult and tedious job getting the strips to line up.  They flew a
few in a day, always in the same direction to assist with the way your
track gets moved by the wind.

Cheers, Chris