Gregory wrote:
>Sent: 21 April 2010 11:38 AM
>To: Tim François
>Cc: OSM Talk-GB
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Workington Bridges
>
>The bridges look good, but the town is clearly lacking.
>Now we have OS Street View, we could quickly respond to natural disasters
>by improving the mappedness of the area.
>
>Of course the argument still remains that it can mean the area never gets
>well mapped. But think, if people see their local bridges in a news story
>about the fastest responding map, and then just out of town their street is
>missing or they go for walks in the Cumbria countryside, they could be
>encouraged to get adding to the amazing OSM.
>Even better would be if 1-2 months later a mapping party, or just a
>talk/workshop was held locally, but I don't know that anyone is around or
>able to travel there to do so.

We had a discussion about this point during the Kidderminster mapping party
on Saturday. Our decision (relating to the Black Country in our case) was
that we would use OS OpenData StreetView, especially in partly mapped areas,
but we would record some info on the wiki for each area covered so that we
know which locations (slices of the cake) need still to have a ground
survey. It also permits a local mapper to bag a spot for ground surveying if
they would prefer to work with a blank canvas. I'd encourage mappers who are
tempted to map "off-piste" to document what they are doing on an appropriate
wiki page for the area in question. That at least informs others that come
along later.

As for Workington, I'm up in the area in a couple of weeks and if I have
time I'll drop by and do a check of the bridges if someone hasn't got there
before me.

Cheers

Andy