On 12 April 2011 15:39, Steve Doerr <doerr.step...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/04/2011 15:16, Ed Avis wrote:
>
>> Peter Miller<peter.miller@...>  writes:
>>
>>  Are people happy with:
>>>
>>> GB:motorway (which implies 70 mph at present and possibly 80 mph in the
>>> future)
>>> GB:dual_carriageway (which implies 70 mph at present)
>>> GB:single_carriageway (which implies 60 mph at present)
>>>
>> I think this is a sensible scheme and can go either into 'maxspeed' (in
>> which
>> case client applications will need a lookup table of what GB:motorway
>> means)
>> or else into 'maxspeed:sign' (in which case the 'maxspeed' tag contains
>> the
>> literal mph value, and will need automated retagging in case the national
>> limit
>> changes).
>>
>> However, one flaw is that the speed limit sign is not for 'dual
>> carriageway
>> limit applies' but rather 'national speed limit applies'.  So we still
>> would not
>> be tagging exactly what appears on the sign, but adding some additional
>> interpretation.  I think that is fair enough, but those who hold to a
>> strict
>> on-the-ground principle may disagree.
>>

> I was going to make the same point.
>
> maxspeed:derivation=national_dual|national_single|motorway|restricted ?

I think we are getting there. Two points:

1) The phase maxspeed:type has already be proposed and is in use in some
places. Can I there suggest maxspeed:type rather than maxspeed:derivation. I
think that will also be more understandable to people who's first language
is not English.

2) In place of 'national' can I suggest 'GB:' to fit with international
conventions.

Which brings one to the following:

maxspeed:type=GB:dual|GB:single|GB:motorway|GB:restricted

Regards,

Peter