Peter Miller wrote:
> I can't see any obvious instances of this tagging in the database at
> present. Can you give me some example ways?

Ah, well, if you're asking about how it's tagged at present: it's grouped
in _relations_ (as cycle routes usually are) which have tags
route=bicycle, network=national_byway.

See http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Byway .

To reiterate: the National Byway has _nothing_ to do with "byways" of any
other sort. highway=byway and designation=restricted_byway are entirely
separate beasts. The NB people just happened upon the name because it has
nice connotations of quiet lanes and pretty countryside, I guess.

cheers
Richard