On 04/05/2011 13:22, Peter Oliver wrote:
• There's an "old" method of tagging ways suitable for pedestrians, and a "new" method.

I'd ignore the "new" method as "documented" there. It was added by a wikifiddler a couple of months ago and bears no resemblance to common usage in the UK. The huge table that was added also makes the page pretty much illegible.

The "new" method is not "wrong", but doesn't add any more information and involves more typing. Personally, I'll record new footpaths as highway=footway, and if someone already mapped one as highway=path, foot=blah I'll leave it at that. Life's too short for edit wars.

As well as echoing what other people have said (e.g. recording designation=public_footpath if there's a sign) what I would add is to see please get mapping! Don't worry about getting 100% of the detail at the first attempt (if someone spots later that something was actually a bridleway and not just a footpath they can change it).

Cheers,
Andy