On 05/05/2011 09:35, Peter Miller wrote:

On 5 May 2011 09:02, TimSC <mappingli...@sheerman-chase.org.uk <mailto:mappingli...@sheerman-chase.org.uk>> wrote:

    Hi all,

    I thought this UK list of orchards was interesting. It would be
    nice if they were to release it as open data. Not sure if they
    traced it from some restricted source though.

Just what I was thinking as well.

Would someone (TimSC?) like to contact them. Given that it was from aerial survey and given that we have access to Bing aerial then all we need from these people is a geocodet and ideally also a name and their reference code for the orchard. We can create the boundary from that information. A geocode/name/reference is unlikely to contain any restrictive IPR.

Regards,

Peter

    http://www.ptes.org/index.php?page=205

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/earth/hi/earth_news/newsid_9474000/9474777.stm

    I also notice the Kent Heritage Tree Project has launch events:

    Ashford 14th May (I might attend)
    Canterbury 14th June
    Tonbridge 10th July

    http://www2.btcv.org.uk/display/kent_heritage_tree_project

    TimSC

I'm a bit surprised that such a dataset does not already exist.

A similar (? identical) dataset is available on the (still running) MAGIC website with the data owner being given as Natural England: http://magic.defra.gov.uk/datadoc/metadata.asp?datasetname=Traditional%20Orchards%20-%20Provisional%20%28England%29. I would presume that this is available for download under Natural England's non-open license.

Other organisations (and people) who may have more information on traditional orchard locations might include some of the following:

   * Local Biological Record Centres: I know the Notts one did some
     detailed landuse survey work in the late 1970s.
   * Local Wildlife Trusts: again some have substantial survey bases.
   * Coleopterists <http://www.coleopterist.org.uk/> (interested in
     specific orchard associated beetles). Recent data is likely to be
     point samples on a 100 m grid.
   * Mistletoe enthusiasts, specifically Jonathan Briggs of
     http://www.mistletoe.org.uk/
     <http://www.mistletoe.org.uk/home/index2.htm> who co-ordinated a
     national mistletoe survey in the 1990s.
   * Moth-ers and bug folk may also have specific orchard related
     interests (I know Joe Botting & Tristan Bantock have been pursuing
     the Mistletoe Bug in Severn Valley orchards).

Of course nearly every one of these organisations will have used OS mapping during data entry: but in many cases they may have someone who can give a sensible overview of at the vice-county level.

Jerry