Colin Smale wrote:
> * there are lots of stretches of roads with (ostensibly) two UK
> numbers (segment is shared between two routes)

Nope - there aren't. That's a popular misconception.

Where (for example) the A11 "disappears" into the A14 east of Cambridge, for
example, the road really is only the A14. It isn't the A11 at all, though
the signposts may say A14 (A11) to guide you to the place where the A11
resumes. You can ask over on sabre-roads.org.uk if you don't believe me. :)

This is different from the practice in the US, where the road will take both
numbers. But it wouldn't work in the UK. The M40 north of Bicester, for
example, would end up being the M40, A34 and A41 at the same time...

> * E-routes forming a network which overlays the national network
> * well-known routes like "South Circular" which are made from bits
> of lots of different roads

Will happily grant you those two :) , though I don't think that's what Dave
was referring to in his original post.

> * roads such as the A1 which are part motorway with a different ref -
> an "A1" relation could be continuous from London to Edinburgh

Hmmm. Not sure about that. The A1(M) isn't the A1 - it's the A1(M). In some
cases, both the motorway and the original road exist side-by-side, as with
the A3(M) and the A3. Regardless, if you want to fetch both at the same
time, you can still use a similar pseudo-query to the one I posted earlier:
a relation is a needless duplication of data and just increases the burden
for mappers.

cheers
Richard