On 10 January 2013 17:26, Philip Barnes <p...@trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> Shrewsbury is pronounced Shrew, a in the tiny animal, by locals.
>

> Have just asked someone born there, his comment was its only pronounced
> Shrowsbury by posh people who aren't from there, and those who go to
> shrowsbury school.

My wife grew up in Shrewsbury and we go back there often. From the many
locals I've talked to there is really no consensus on pronunciation and
everyone has their own favourite theory, common among them being something
about posh people or something about which side of the Welsh and English
bridges people were on back in the day.

For more fun on the numerous and hyper-local variations in accent, I'd
recommend http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ljwm4

You'd be a brave mapper indeed if you tried to add a definitive phonetic
pronunciation to many place names!

Regards,
Tom