On 18/04/13 14:14, Shaun McDonald wrote:
On 18 Apr 2013, at 13:01, "Dave F." <dave...@madasafish.com> wrote:

On 18/04/2013 12:52, Shaun McDonald wrote:
Updates are a lot harder to do as you have to deal with differences
When you say differences, do you mean within the tags? Does it need to do that,
could it not do a simpler find & replace?
If someone has modified the item in OSM and in NaPTAN then it needs manual
intervention as to which is more correct - the one in OSM or the one in NaPTAN.

Shaun

There are various errors in NaPTAN data. The data was created by different means in different local authorities and to varying standards of quality. The position is not always very accurate, but sometimes the accompanying information can be poor too. Some data are very good, but until you survey it you just don't know. As someone who has manually validated every stop in in a city (~1300) and about a third (~900) of the stops in a large Unitary Authority I can vouch for the differences and the wide variation in quality. It became clear that in the city the quality varied from area to area. I suspect that some areas were surveyed or recorded or checked more diligently than others possibly because a more diligent or competent person did the work there.

As with almost all imports or external data sources, they were created by people. These people were being paid to do a job come rain or shine, however they felt , whatever their own personal circumstances, all of which affects the quality of their work. OSM surveys are done because the surveyor wants to do it and so I think we should accept that sometimes OSM surveys are better than imports. In the case of NaPTAN that certainly can be true. That's not to say the external data is useless - finding every bus stop in a city without a list to work from would have been hard and easy to miss one.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly