Ed Loach wrote:
It would be MUCH safer if you had to pick the boundary to select
it!

But much harder to use for areas that share the boundary ways with
an adjacent area. You'd have to resort to the / stuff that Potlatch
uses or middle-click for JOSM (or whatever).

I think all I am asking for is that it only selects an area if the boundary is actually visible. But I'm used to 3D drawing packages which provide a select list when there are several entities within range. This warns when the wrong one is selected and allows selection of the right one.

The problem is where several areas overlap, and you don't know that they are.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL