On 31/07/14 17:41, Stuart Reynolds wrote:
Many thanks - some interesting viewpoints there.

I think it is safe to say that things will have improved from 2009, but also fair to admit that some data is not structured in the way that even I would like. Yorkshire is a particular problem for us.

East Yorkshire council seem to believe open data is casting pearls before swine. Hull City council have made noises for years about open data and do precisely nothing.
The good thing though is that NaPTAN is downloadable on an authority by authority basis and so we have scope for working through issues relatively local basis and perhaps later picking off authorities for individual "auto updates" once we've all agreed what that entails.

On specifics, it is never going to be the case that NaPTAN will come from OSM.

Never is a very, very long time. I suspect OSM data (with quality public transport data) will be around long after NaPTAN has disappeared in a puff of bureaucratic smoke :-)

However, I'm keen to identify mismatches - missing stops in Swanley might be TfL infrastructure for example, while "stop not present" might represent "custom and practice" stops or virtual points on a hail and ride route. Where we can, we can update data.

Using NaPTAN updates as I use OS Locator data, i.e. a list of places to survey, would be useful. To do that an overlay with the updates on would be useful. If we find that the updates are repeatedly good quality then more of an import might be worth looking at. At the moment any direct imports of NaPTAN data would get a veto from me based on the only evidence we have at the moment: poor quality.

Looking to the future I am also keen to use OSM for those things that NaPTAN doesn't describe or which there is little will to populate. But that is a whole new discussion for another time.

Would anyone who has made edits like to volunteer an area for me to start with? I live in Southend, and have direct contact with SE authorities and indirect contact with SW, EM and EA.

I could help create an overlay, though the Novam viewer was very helpful when I was surveying the stops in Hull (and nearly 800 in E. Yorsk before I gave up). Maybe the Novam viewer http://b3e.net/novam/ could be extended to show an updates overlay.

I'd be particularly interested if any council has used the improved OSM data to bring their feed into NaPTAN up to scratch, and if not why not?

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly