On 18/08/14 10:59, SomeoneElse wrote:
Whilst the existance of a highway=pedestrian area that isn't connected
is an indication of something, it's usually just an indication of that
mapping in a particular area is not complete.

Considering the longer term problems:

1) There needs to be better guidance to routing software developers on how to route when there are parallel features accessible on foot;

2) There needs to be a lot more mapping of barriers.

Ideally, the routing rule for foot needs to be something like that, subject to access and surface quality considerations, if there is no barrier between adjacent features, you may cross at any point between them. In this case, there has probably been pressure to make life easier for the router.

I think this also came up recently with regard to central reservations on non-motorways.

The other difficult situation we have here is that pedestrian areas are mapped physically, as the actual area occupied, but most roads are mapped, abstractly, as an infinitely narrow line on the centre of the carriageway, so you will get a gap between the two and the router has to use some heuristics to decide whether that gap is bridgeable on foot. I have seen cases where the pedestrian area was mapped out to the centre of the road, but I considered that wrong. (In fact, mapping roads as areas will generally confuse routing software.)

Another variation of this routing problem is that of where is it reasonable to cross a road. Ideally, physical barriers at the centre of the road should be mapped, and access restrictions put on any reservations that is not supposed to be used by the public, but the main consideration tends to be the level and speed of traffic and the visibility of that traffic, combined with whether or not there is a designated crossing point near enough to be used.

There really isn't enough information mapped to make a decision as to whether it will be safe to cross. Also, a little old lady may not be safe crossing at an arbitrary point, whereas it will be no problem for a more able bodied person. Some people may want to avoid pedestrian subways, particularly after dark. Any mapping of crime levels in them is likely to be volatile and may even move the crime.

Particularly for residential roads, you might get into the dangerous area of mapping actual maximum speeds on rat runs, as, there is a road near me with a 20mph limit, but, apart from speed bumps it is long and straight, so vehicles may get up to 40 mph between bumps, with visibility limited by parked cars. The council policy is to only use passive enforcement. Mapping that as 40 mph de facto, may encourage people to use it that way, but saying it is safe for little old ladies to cross at night, based on the 20 mph limit may also be wrong.

Maybe there is a need for a verification tool that renders additional random interconnections and crossing points, so that one can see whether there is a need to add barriers, and other hints, to prevent such routings.