Indeed, they would need unique IDs of some kind for this to work globally.
I nearly said that in that mail. I would probably prefer that in a
different tag that wasn't actually usually presented to a human reader, and
I'm not sure about the UK company registration number as an ID, because not
all operators are companies and it'#s UK specific. A URL as an ID might be
OK though, as those must belong to the organisation in question. Though
they are always subject to change.