Dave F. wrote:
> I've always read the brackets to mean 'leading to' or 'via' not as being
> shared. From the Highway Code: "Motorways shown in brackets can
> also be reached along the route indicated."

Yes, exactly. Because they're just numbers, not routes, the brackets simply
mean "if you want the bit of the A11 that goes to Norwich, it's this way",
not that the road is both A14 and A11.

Interestingly[1], looking on G**gle Str**t V**w, even the few erroneous
examples of signposting "A123 / A456" without brackets appear to have been
replaced now. I knew of one, at Monmouth, and (thanks to a SABRE thread)
there appears to be one at Caerphilly too. The Kendal example sometimes
cited has been replaced.

Richard

[1] well, FSVO "interestingly"