I suspect that even though much of the coastline is tagged "source=PGS" is has been amended by reference to Yahoo and after that Bing imagery, but the subsequent editors did not remove the "source=PGS" tag.

Certainly comparing your gpx file for the Isle of Wight with the coastline currently in OSM there appear a number of places where the gpx file does not accurately represent MHW.

I certainly would not want to see a wholesale replacement of what is in currently in OSM with OD Boundary Line data.

Looking here http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/51.53546/0.60580 an area near Southend, unless the Bing imagery is outdated, the Boundary Line data seems to be an odd representation of the coastline.

David