Hi Brian,

If you are updating the data in OSM from NaPTAN, then I agree that this is long
overdue.

For the benefit of others, can I just mention some specific stop point types
that are in NaPTAN that editors may be unfamiliar with (and which I think have
caused some confusion in the past):

  *   CUS are Custom and Practice stops. Typically ends of farm roads, lay-bys,
etc where there is no physical marked stop. Given a need to have stopping
points on the right side of the road, these are also used for the “other side
of the road” stop where there is a pole marked “buses stop both sides”
  *   HAR are virtual stops denoting a nominal point in a hail and ride
section. Hail and Ride is a bit cumbersome, but there is a virtual stop and it
is linked to a start coordinate for the hail and ride section and an end
coordinate. These aren’t supposed to be long. Typically there will need to be
one in each direction (as the start and end points are reversed).

Also, there is often some confusion about what name goes into which fields -
people will insist on compounding names, for example, because that’s what their
consuming system wants, rather than getting the consumer to read the data
properly. But that’s too much to go into here, and if reviewing the names is in
scope then I would be happy to offer to help. One of my other “hats" is as the
Public Transport Data Standards Advisor / Expert for DfT, which includes
advising on NAPTAN.

Regards,
Stuart Reynolds
for traveline south east & anglia