Lester's comments look logical from a general perspective: 1 network (National Rail), 1+ operators (Merseyrail, Northern, ...). I'd expand a bit by saying the it IS possible to have both multiple networks and operators at the same transport point (rail/bus station/platform). I have local Swedish bus stops with 3+ networks: Stockholm SL bus/ferry/subway system, Uppsala UL bus system, private long distance networks and then specific operators such as Nobina and Arriva for, at least, specific routes with the Stockholm network. Fun.

Mike

On 2018-11-17 10:09, Lester Caine wrote:
On 17/11/2018 07:12, SK53 wrote:
I've just come across a large number of instances of network=Nation Rail on stations. Clearly this is a mistake, presumably National Rail is intended.

As the station concerned is heavily branded with Merseyrail my first instinct was to change the tag to this, but then I wondered if National Rail is more useful. Today a network=Merseyrail would be more useful to me because I have a day rover for that network.

I wonder what others think, and can we clean up the erroneous name?

Merseyrail is the operator rather than the network. The network is owned and managed by Network Rail. National Rail is simply a  club of operating companies and includes both Network Rail and Merseyrail. So every station should have an operator=xxx and network=Network Rail, but they should also have some tag to the other train operators using the network through the station if more than 'National Railway' member is using it. So Ormskirk Station (https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/86878104#map=19/53.56928/-2.88114) for example needs an operator=merseyrail and *I* would prefer network=Network Rail. The line north should be tagged operator=Northern which would at least associate that fact with the station, but other stations may have more than one train operator using the track. Network Rail and National Rail is probably interchangable in the public mind, but freight services use the track and is not covered by National Rail, but it's unlike that stations like Ormskirk would have that problem ;)

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL