But, as I am sure has been said by someone else recently:
a.  A shop is still a shop, even when it is closed.b.  A permanently closed
shop that still has the signage / branding all over it is still a useful
landmark.
So, I think I would favour disused:shop=*  That way you know from the outset
that you won't be able to buy anything there atm, but all the other details,
like name= can be retained.
Regards,Peter

    On Wednesday, 25 September 2019, 14:03:21 BST, Andy Allan
<gravityst...@gmail.com> wrote:

 On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 14:51, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 at 13:38, Dave F via Talk-GB
> <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org> wrote:
> >
> > Because shop=* indicates it is still open for business.
>
> If it does not do so in "shop=vacant" then it does not do so in
> something like "opening_hours = none".

What you're proposing here is "oh no it isn't" tagging, which is
generally frowned on.

amenity = pub <- "yay, this is a pub"
opening_hours = none <- "oh no it isn't"

Any map, app, geocoder etc that doesn't parse the additional tags is
therefore mislead. It's much more preferable to avoid confusion by
changing the main tag, in this case changing the "shop" tag to
something else (like vacant) or removing it entirely by converting it
into disused:shop tag.

Thanks,
Andy