Hi Phil,

In my opinion, where you pay for it is irrelevant. It is a store with multiple
departments, and as such is a department store. You mentioned Debenhams as an
example of a department store - it still exists, of course, and it is still a
department store, but you can pay at any till.

On the flip side, no-one would ever describe Foyles as anything other than a
bookshop. However, back in the day it was very much stuck in the 70s itself.
You couldn’t pay for books from different departments, instead you had go
around the shop, choose your books, leave them at their departments, get a set
of bills, go to the (admittedly single) till, pay, and then go back and pick up
your books from the departments you’d left them in. It was surreal. But aside
from that trip down memory lane, you were effectively billed from each
department and couldn’t get billed out of department, which sort of meets your
definition of a department store. But it wasn’t one - it was (and still is) a
bookshop.

Cheers
Stuart