Tony,

Please read the original thread! The one that weeklyOSM is referring to!
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/osmf-talk/2020-August/thread.html#7191
That email thread includes a very specific reply from Grant Slater
(about databases and countries), and also a reply from OSMF board
members.

Best
Dan