On 10/12/2020 12:41, Ken Kilfedder wrote:
As a break from 'tagging for the renderer', I'd like to see rendering for the tags.  It would save a lot of heartarche if the map on osm.org showed shared-use paths explicitly.

I entirely agree! I think the real problem here is that the standard OSM render simply doesn't handle highways restricted to non-motorised users very well at all, and hence there's a strong incentive to people to modify the tags to try and workaround that issue.

However...

Perhaps as follows:-

  * highway=cycleway with nothing to say that foot is allowed - blue
    dashes as at present.
  * highway=footway with nothing to say bicyles are allowed - red dashes
    as at present.
  * highway=cycleway with foot expressly allowed - blue/red dashed line
    (maybe blue long dash interspersed with red short dash)
  * highway=footway with bikes expressly allowed - blue/red dashed line
    (maybe red long dash interspersed with blue short dash)
  * With segregated=yes - possibly, at higher zoom levels, show blue
    dashes in parallel with red - the right way round if possible.

...this distinction doesn't really exist in the UK. The default legal position for for any public highway in the UK is that any permission for any class of user also includes permission for any class of user prior to that in the hierarchy, unless explicitly stated (and signed) otherwise. The hierarchy in question being:

pedestrians
cyclists
horse riders and horse-drawn vehicles
motor vehicles

So any cycleway in the UK is also a footway, unless pedestrians are explicitly prohibited, and any road that cars can use is also open to cyclists and pedestrians (unless, again, they are explicitly prohibited, such as on motorways). There's certainly no general legal distinction between a cycleway that allows pedestrians and a footway that allows cycles - they are both, in law, exactly the same, and are both in law, a shared-use path. Even a segregated shared-use path is still legally usable across its entire width by pedestrians, even if that's typically discouraged.

Personally, I think the default OSM map render should follow that hierarchy, with minor highways and paths having a three-way distinction:

pedestrians only
pedestrians and cycles
all vehicles

(I'd disregard horses in this context, although tagging bridleways in rural areas would still be useful and it would be helpful to have that indicated somehow on the default render).

I think that would solve the issue here, and prevent a lot of anonymous notes.

Anyone know off hand where/how to propose this?  Or even willing to help on coding up a demo?

Another issue here is that the default OSM map render is intended to be global, but other countries don't necessarily have the same highway hierarchy as the UK. In some countries, cycleways that pedestrians are prohibited from using may be the norm (I have a feeling that is the case in The Netherlands, for example). This is one of the reasons why I think that the default render ought to be location-aware, in order to reflect different highway laws in different places.

But, also, it's a good reason to press on with creating a specifically UK stylesheet, so that OSM on a .uk domain looks different to that on a .org domain, with the former being styled to match British practice.

Mark