Hi,

Post towns may be somewhat arbitrary, but they are at least a verifiable
national scheme which we can use for addressing every location in the
country. That has to have some benefits compared to each individual mapper
deciding where they believe each address falls  - easy for many places,
likely contentious for others. The other consistent scheme we could use is
tagging by local authority but that's likely to annoy just as many people.

I also disagree with the assertion that post towns are no longer used or
only of use to RM. Whilst a street address and postcode should suffice,
there is an expectation that post is fully addressed. By including the full
address, post can still arrive at the correct address despite an obscured,
incorrect or illegible postcode. The advantage of a consistent national
scheme of addressing is as useful to other couriers in this regard as it is
to RM. If you should use parcel labels supplied by the couriers I have
usually found them to follow RM's addressing scheme including the relevant
post town.

Kind regards,

Adam