Hi guys,

sorry, i can hardly follow up anymore. I made the mistake to join three global
OSM-talk-groups (talk, talk-legal and legal-general) and since then my inbox is
BLOW AWAY by incomming traffic :/

Reg. the matter at hand:
It is in fact a little bit tricky. Buendia Ave is tagged Senator Gil Puyat on a
large strip now.
Hmm. To be honest - and this is nothing against Senator Puyat - but I
absolutely dont know anyone who calls that Street Puyat rather than Buendia. At
least not the Makati portion of it.
I think it should be name= and alt_name= for the names commonly used, i.e. the
name ppl on the street actually use for that street. The rederers should
display them as something like [name]([alt_name]), which they dont do yet,
afaik.
old_name= should be used for a former name, that is commonly accepted as
derelicted. A tag new_name= might be used for a new name, that has not yet been
commonly adopted ... and then eventually become alt_name, then name. OSM is a
living map,that will adopt changes in the realworld at any time.

Displaying historic names (i.e. names that fall under old_name=) on the normal
map will make it confusing. For a historic map, someone should create a special
historic-renderer. (That's the good thing about OSM, that you can use the data
in many different ways.)

Cheers

Soren