At 11:26 AM 9/04/2009, Eugene Alvin Villar wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was doing some cleaning up and some building mapping in the Makati CBD area
>and I noticed that the satellite imagery in Yahoo! (provided by GeoEye) has
>some really bad stitching (multiple satellite imagery were stitched into one
>"seamless" mosaic). One particularly bad example is that Rufino St. (Herrera)
>is broken along Ayala Avenue. The stitching of the imagery seems to be along
>Ayala Avenue and Buendia. If you'll check out the parts of Buendia near the
>RCBC Plaza, you'll notice that there are two shadow images of Buendia there.
>
>I think this means that the data in the Makati CBD area might be quite off in
>some parts. I think that we need to supplement this with some really good GPS
>traces (the existing uploaded GPS traces are quite noisy) but the problem is
>the urban canyon effect that makes GPS a bit ineffective in this area.
>
>What do you guys think?

I tried GPS mapping in Makati CBD before the imagery was available and found
the GPS quality just awful, you are very polite :-) .  I had a similar problem
in Sydney CBD coupled with very oblique aerial imagery that obscures many of
the roads.  The best solution I came up with was to wander about and take lots
of digital photographs down streets and then iteratively edit the map to get
relative position looking right against the photos with the few spots of good
imagery and GPS as a control for absolute position.

Mike