Hi Totor,

Welcome to the family. :-)

I've done a bit of mapping in Cebu over the last year or so, but not much
actually in the city. I did a lot up north, on a holiday to Malapascua island
(which you should visit by the way - a lovely beach getaway), and then filled
in a few of the other roads from an out-of-copyright map Maning slipped me.

As the map at the time was virgin territory (well compared to Manila anyway),
then I was focusing mainly on getting the roads in and relocating the towns and
villages, which were often several KM out of place. I didn't pay much attention
to the types of roads, figuring someone like yourself would be along sooner or
later to tidy up. So anyway, please feel free to go ahead and re-classify roads
however it makes sense to you.

Some of the roads I put in from the out of copyright map need to be verified. I
think these are tagged with source=50k map or something like that, and they'll
have no names. But once again I felt that putting any roads in at all is better
than no roads, as they add a framework that people can add to. As the satellite
imagery in Yahoo is rather poor for Cebu Island, then the framework of roads
and GPS traces is pretty much all you have to work with for now.

As for classifying the roads, I don't think the classifications as envisaged by
the OSM originators in UK have much relevance to the Philippines (what's a
trunk road for example here?), but I figure the most useful thing we can do is
to classify in terms of importance, which gives a sense of the road network.
Clearly there are some roads in the Philippines which carry a lot of traffic,
and are very important, but which would probably only be classified as
secondary or tertiary roads in Europe. So I tend to think in terms of ...
Primary roads carry the most traffic, followed by secondary, followed by
tertiary. That kind of thing ...

I'm probably going to get some reaction from the forum for this ... like all
families we have our disagreements! But when I'm mapping I tend to think in
terms of "What is going to be most useful to people using the map" rather than
"How exactly can I follow the mapping rules."

In the case of Cebu right now, my feeling would be to get as many roads and GPS
traces in there first, and then figure out the minute details of classification
later. Once the road framework is in there, then people without GPS units can
go ahead and fill in all the buildings and Points of Interest.

My 2 centavos only ...

Jim

--
   datalude: information security