On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:27 PM, Marloue Pidor <mur...@mail2engineer.com>wrote:

>  Ohh, but I added a flight route from Davao to Manila. Check the data, its
> there but I don't know why it did not appear. So, Technically Davao is
> connected to Manila by plane. I will try to add ferry route to Manila. Its a
> very long route.
>

> murlwe

Hi murlwe,

Yes, I noticed your Davao-Manila flight route[1]. However there are two
problems: 1) this flight path is not connected to any other navigable way
(so in mathematical / graph theory terms, Davao is not connected to Manila),
and 2) even if it were connected, the tag route=flight is not used by any
tool that I know of[2] and I assume that this is not recognized by keep
right.

I think the simplest way to connect Davao to Manila is to ensure that there
is an unbroken set of ways from Davao to Surigao City, then a ferry route to
Liloan, Southern Leyte, then a land route to Tacloban then to Sta. Rita,
Samar (via San Juanico Bridge), to Allen, Northern Samar, then a ferry to
Matnog, Sorsogon. I'm assuming that there already exists in OSM a connected
land route from Manila to Sorsogon. With this option, I don't think a ferry
route from Davao Port to Manila Port would be needed to solve this problem.

Eugene / seav

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/36961252

[2] Sky-based map data is a bit controversial and some OSMers seem to think
that they shouldn't be entered into the main OSM database while others argue
that they are still valid map data. See the following URLs for a sampling of
the discussion:

* http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?pid=18666
* http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Airspace
* http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2006-November/008989.html