Hi Eugene,

Usually, at WaypointsDotPH, we get the coordinates and photos from
contributors who have been to the POIs.  I was thinking, that if this will
be a photo contest, then photographers of "uncharted" monuments might keep
the location information while the contest is going on so others may not
find the location and be competitive?

Anyway, I have been locating many of these sites lately by using combined
panoramio, google earth, wikimapia.  Latest ones are some POIs in Cagayan
Valley.  Most often, I see some of these monuments tagged in panoramio
photos that are linked to GE.  I visually zoom in and try to zero-in on the
monument then I get the coordinates from GE.  I then place the coordinates
on the WaypointsDotPH database since I believe I have less restrictions in
using GE coordinate data than OSM has with GE.  If the map area can be seen
on Bing (which is "OSM-friendly"), then I put the POI node on OSM.

Visavis, I also extract some POI coordinates from OSM especially those that
are already on OSM and I include them on WaypointsDotPH to complete the
"where it is and how to get there" feature of the website.  So, basically,
as far as monuments and other provincial tourist destinations are
concerned, one can say that the data at WaypointsDotPH is a superset. So,
if we are after a complete and ordered list, it would help if people submit
coordinates to WaypointsDotPH first (especially those that have been
geotagged from Google Earth).

btw, an example of such a list/map is the Colonial Churches:

http://waypoints.ph/categmap.php?cat=OLC

ed

On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Wikimedia Philippines has launched the Wiki(pedia) Loves Monuments
> last March 24. WLM is a photo contest with the aim of creating a body
> of open and freely-licensed photos of cultural and heritage sites and
> monuments. WLM started in 2010 in the Netherlands, became a
> Europe-wide competition in 2011, and in 2012 is now an international
> competition with 28+ countries around the world participating. The WLM
> Philippines webpage is here:
> http://www.wikimedia.ph/wmph/index.php?title=Wiki_Loves_Monuments
>
> Anyway, the WLM Philippines project managers asked my help if it is
> possible to get the coordinates of each site or monument in the site
> list (which is basically the Philippine Registry of Cultural Property
> (PRECUP) Built Heritage list provided by the National Commission for
> Culture and the Arts) which contain 689 sites total. The list is here:
>
> http://www.wikimedia.ph/wmph/index.php?title=Wiki_Loves_Monuments/Entry_Sites
>
> As you can see, most of the sites only have the town or city as their
> location. Not all of them have complete addresses and not one of them
> has any attached coordinates. The additional mapping info would be
> beneficial so the photographers would know where to find these sites.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm sure that OSM does not have all of the information.
> I estimate that only around 1/3 of these sites are in OSM. I think
> WaypointsDotPH might fare better but I don't think all of the sites
> are on WaypointsDotPH too.
>
> Do any of you guys have any idea on what's the best way to get the
> addresses/coordinates of all 689 sites? If needed, Wikimedia
> Philippines is willing to buy a license from private GIS companies but
> of course an open/free solution would be best.
>

> Anyway, WLM aside, I think putting all of these sites in OSM would be
> a nice little project for OSMPH. Do people think it's a good idea to
> have a list somewhere where we can track whether all 689 sites are in
> OSM and with complete attributes already?
>

> Eugene

website administrator:
- www.waypoints.ph
- reeflife.eppgarcia.com