Dear Snorre,

The original provincial boundaries were based on Namria's 1:250K
topographic maps this is very coarse and useful only to provide an
overview of the province. At larger scales (or higher zoom levels in
webmapping parlance), this is very inaccurate.

There is also a free dataset of administrative boundaries (from region
to barangay) available at philgis.org [0] which  is also the same data
from GADM [1].  Based on my personal/anecdotal discussions with
several people, this data also came from NAMRIA. This is a very good
dataset but we cannot import it in OSM due to the license issues at
the same time, we also think that it is also inaccurate at the
municipal and brgy level [2].

You are of course welcome to use this data in conjunction with OSM's
dataset to compose your maps in any GIS software.

The best way to get administrative boundaries is to request these data
to the concerned local government unit (provincial and municipality).
We can easily import them once explicit permission is secured.

[0]  http://philgis.org
[1]  http://www.gadm.org/
[2]  http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-ph/2011-May/003255.html

PS.  Glad to know western Mindanao is getting more OSM love.  Keep on mapping!

2012/4/10 "Snorre D. Øverbø" <sno...@overbo.no>:
> Hi guys,
>

> I'm looking at the basic OSM map, and I see that it has (more og less
> complete?) administrative boundaries on province level.
> It looks like the dataprovider for the provincial boundaries are NAMRIA, The
> National Mapping and Resource Information Authority, (tag Source=NAMRIA
> topo)
>
> My interest is primarily Western Mindanao, and I as far as I can see, OSM
> lacks data on administrative boundaries below province level, e.g.
> municipaiity and barangay there. Maybe thats the case in for the rest of the
> Philippines too?
>
> It would have been really cool if we could add more administrative
> boundaries in OSM. Could it in some way be possible to have NAMRIA provide
> OSM with administrative boundary data? Do you have knowledge on their policy
> on distributing map data? National mapping authorities in many european
> countries have made such content free and reuseable for all.(open access)
>

> Best,
>
> Snorre D. Øverbø

cheers,
maning