I would support any solution that allows me to continue to interact with the
list via email. Any solution that requires me to login to a website and respond
there would lose my engagement pretty quickly.

Its just the way I work: Email is great for asynchronous communication. I can
respond when I feel like it. But as soon as the conversation moves to a
chat-based format then I'm forced to actively keep up with it.

The threading in Discourse is nice, as it lets you focus on discussions you're
interested in, and ignore others.

Jim