Hi Jeff,

I've been mapping a lot in Turkey but can only tell for sure that

* il = province (admin_level=4)
* ilçe = town = district = district center (admin_level=6)
* köy = village (admin_level=8)

Concerning suburb/neighborhood (mahalle/semt) I'm still unsure and up to now
didn't get ANY response from the Turkish community regarding classification
(see https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-tr/2014-November/000362.html)

The community is not very active in the mailinglist - they may be more active in
a facebook group (I don't use fb)

  https://www.facebook.com/OpenStreetMapTurkey/

Semt seems as if only being used in big cities - wikipedia calls them "quarters":

* https://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kategori:Türkiye'deki_semtler
* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Quarters_in_Turkey

Even villages may have 1) suburbs which I give the neighborhood tag and 2) "mezra"s
where I use hamlet.

Yayla vary from location (no house at all) over hamlet (some houses) to suburb/village
(if big like a village)

Wikipedia says yayla = Plateau - in German I'd rather call them "Alm".

Bucak is sort of deprecated (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucak_(administrative_unit))

Another thing is that most villages in metropolitan municipalities have been converted
to suburbs (6360 Metropolıtan Law) after 2012

http://econpapers.repec.org/article/scn000raj/383.htm