Peter J Stoner wrote:
> In message <1350f7a40902260245l31fbfe88jc05af7faef79b...@mail.gmail.co
> m>
>           Frankie Roberto <fran...@frankieroberto.com> wrote:
>
>> Indeed - I've started to do a few stations near me. One of the unsolved
>> problems (to my mind), is how to add platforms numbers. ref=* has been
>> suggested, but most island platforms usually have a different number for
>> each side of the platform (sometimes even splitting the sides up as 1a, 1b,
>> etc). See discussion here:
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/unified_stop
>> area#Sheffield

We could model the whole platform as an area with two additional ways at
either side of the area polygon to add platform-side specific information.

> There are some more ways that platforms are divided up:
>
> On the West Coast main line there are coloured zones, eg Gold Zone,
> Purple Zone etc.

--%<--

> The Japaneze use the position on the platform to suggest where to
> board in relation to the exit at the destination station.  (see
> www.navitime.com - for the London Underground)

A similar system exists for trains in Germany. Each platform is split
into sections (A to G typically) and a large chart explains for each
train stopping at the platform in which section each coach comes to
halt. That's handy if you have reserved seats.

I assumed that the coloured zones on the West Coast main line where used
for the same thing (with the Gold Zone being the area where first class
coaches stop :-) )

Christoph