Chris Lawrence wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Theodore Book
> <tbook-vggt2q2+t+feowh0uzb...@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Despite my taking a "local" approach, I do think it would be great if we
>> could do a coordinated national upload of the NHD data, however.
>
> I think it would definitely help make the US OpenStreetMap look more
> professional to get as much of the NHD data in as possible.

along those same lines, if it would automatically mark 3 and 4 digit NFD
routes as Unpaved Roads and 2 digit ones as Road (since these highways
might or might not be paved) instead of marking them all unpaved would
probably help.

I'm not sure how to handle mass-updating of these roads, either...it's
exceptionally rare for people to live on an NFD road unless they live
on-site at their job (such as US Forest Service rangers, Boy Scout camp
rangers, fire watchmen, etc.).  While I don't have any aversion to going
up to the mountains and attempting to drive every road by hand to see if
it still exists and in what condition, but I would need a donation of a
compact 4x4 (like a Kia Sportage or Suzuki Sidekick, at largest a Jeep
Wrangler; nothing with low undercarriage clearance like a Honda
anything, and nothing that is completely useless off-pavement like
pretty much anything General Motors or Ford makes:  It needs to be
something that can fit down a logging road without clearing trees to
turn a corner or fit through a gap), and it would still take me years to
decades to do it..