Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> On 12 Apr 2009, at 9:01 , Adam Schreiber wrote:
>> Probably because the mapper can easily identify the type of road (i.e.
>> Interstate, US Hwy, etc.).  I'm not sure that the mapper should be
>> specifying the URL of the sign since it requires extra work to find it
>> and any renderer should be able to pick their own source of sign
>> shields (I know they can simply ignore the suggested one, but this
>> method can put more information into the DB).
>
> ideally the renderer can figure out everything based on the ref tag
> and some tag or intelligent location lookup to find the state, county
> a road is in.
>   It contains all you need to pick the correct sign. But you need the
> whole knowledge about signs for all states, county ...
> as an example California uses different signs for US routes but the
> same for interstates.

Well, if the US ones are different, the Interstate ones are different
for the same reason based on what i've seen in Northern California on
I-5, US-199 and US-101:  California's egotistical enough to put it's
name on all route markers regardless of size.  "Interstate California 5,
US California 199", etc.