On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Ian Dees <ian.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:17 PM, Apollinaris Schoell <ascho...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 7:19 PM, Anthony <o...@inbox.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> On the other hand, putting the information directly on the way would
>>> be problematic for many reasons.  Ranges might span multiple ways, and
>>> right/left has to be reversed whenever the way is reversed being the
>>> most troublesome.
>>>
>> this is enough reason to stay away from such a scheme. if it's too
>> difficult no one will use it or they will break the data.
>>
> This scheme works for all of the places that I'm sourcing data from... they
> have line segments that are tagged with the left/right-begin/end addresses.
> Each road is broken up into line segments that have different address
> values.

I'm not sure what your data is like, but the Tiger data inaccurately
splits the address ranges when it needs to split a segment.  In other
words, if a road goes from 2 to 100, and it needs to be split in half,
Tiger blindly splits the segments up as 2 - 48 and 50-100 *without
even checking if this is correct*.