On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:
> I consider interpolation ways to be an abstract thing also. To convey the
> information, they need to be on each side of the road

The thing is, they don't.

> As long as there is no doubt (for the
> person viewing the situation in an editor) which road they belong to, it's
> fine.

You mean with the addr:street tag?  Other than that tag, it's quite
common (at least here in Florida) for it to be non-obvious which
"road" an address "belongs to", if you want to put the interpolation
way over top of the houses.  The building might very well be far away
from the road it "belongs to", and closer to another road that it
doesn't "belong to".  For geolocation using actual addresses, that's a
feature, not a bug - but it doesn't work for potential address ranges
at all.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:56 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/11/12 Anthony <o...@inbox.org>:
>> I can see keeping it in a separate db, and really I'm leaning toward
>> that as being the best option.
>>
>> What are the advantages of having this in the OSM db?  When the roads
>> change, you're going to have to either re-survey the data or throw out
>> the address ranges anyway.  The address ranges are pretty much only
>> useful within the context of the original road centerlines.  Geocoding
>> or reverse-geocoding software can connect between the two databases
>> using latitude/longitude pairs.  I can't really see any point in
>> integrating it.
>
> On the other hand if you receive a data donation from a densely
> built-up city's council then there will be more existing addresses
> than non-existing ones in the area and it will be easier for local
> mappers to start with all the possible interpolation ways and slowly
> remove fragments than to survey with an empty map.  And will better
> match reality.

*Nod*.  If you can at least semi-manually integrate the data so you're
pretty sure maybe 95% of it is in the general vicinity of the
buildings, that's cool.  But that's only going to be feasible in
certain locations.