We did an imperfect import of building footprints in Washington D.C. a
while ago.  I personally find it makes the map far more usable for
adding other information. With the buildings in I am able to add
stores and other details easily without using a GPS, simply by
printing Walking Papers.

Personally for me I enjoy outlining buildings, but there are plenty of
other places without footprints where I could do that if I had the
urge.

-Kate