On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 5:01 AM, Phil! Gold <phi...@pobox.com> wrote:
> * Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> [2012-04-11 17:33 -0700]:
>> On Apr 11, 2012 11:48 AM, "Phil! Gold" <phi...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> > From what I've read, all US highways in California should get similar
>> > treatment, in that they're signed with different shields than the standard
>> > ones.  Are there other regional sign variants for broader road networks in
>> > the US (or elsewhere)?
>>
>> Some US highways (segments of US 75A for sure) and many state highways
>> feature generic white circle state route signage, though it's not clear to
>> me if this was deliberate or a case of sign shop error, or older signs not
>> yet replaced, respectively.
>
> I think I'd prefer to ignore unusual or one-off sign variations like
> those.  Let me put it this way: Are there any other places where a local
> organization responsible for making and placing signs along a route has an
> official policy of placing signs that differ significantly in appearance
> from the signs used along the rest of the network?

That's what I wasn't clear about above.  Though Wikipedia's articles
and the actual ground truth seems to show that what is signed as US
75A is actually OK 75A, since it seems Oklahoma considers US
bannered/lettered routes as state highways and may not consistently
sign it wholly as a state or US highway.  Another highway with
confusing inconsistencies would be US 412.  Parts of it include:

- Cherokee Turnpike (signed as Cherokee Turnpike, not signed as US412).
- US 412 Scenic (old US 412, a loop bypassing the Cherokee Turnpike,
the "last free exit" in both directions where the turnpike starts;
signed as US 412S or US 412 Scenic).
- OK 412A (not sure of signage, but is definitely related to US 412;
may actually be US 412 Alternate)
- OK 412B (not sure of signage, but is definitely related to US 412;
may actually be US 412 Business)
- OK 412P (signed as OK 412P, definitely a spur of US 412 at the
Arkansas River Navigation System; may actually be US 412 Port)

Arkansas seems to have similar quirks to Oklahoma on US highways
between the Cherokee border and Bentonville; not sure if this is
regionalistic signage issues or if the business/alternate/port/scenic
roads are really state highways as a result.