Serge Wroclawski writes:
 > Steve suggested we need addresses. He didn't ask for a crazy huge
 > import.

Well, he kinda did. The TIGER data has addresses. The original import
didn't include them. We *could* triple the size of the data in the USA
by creating address ways alongside the TIGER ways. Eventually we will
triple it, if only by hand.

The real question about this import (which is technically feasible),
is whether we can fix the errors with less effort than it will take to
input them by hand. Speaking as someone who has done importing and
hand editing, I think we should do the import ... of course only in
areas where there aren't already addresses.

 > > When 98% of the data in US was already imported, it seems a kind of
 > > late to be even having this discussion.

The common wisdom around OSM is that if we had vast areas of
emptiness, people would have sprung into action to create a useful
map. My experience went the other way: I looked at the emptiness and
said "Geezums, we have the TIGER data, why don't we start with that??"

And as much as I curse the darkness of TIGER inaccuracy, I've found it
easier to light a light using the TIGER data.

 > work on Free geodata an imports, that you might be happier working on
 > something like CommonMap, which has a different approach than OSM

CommonMap is defunct.

 > As for this "fighting", I see very little fighting. I see a lot of
 > passionate arguments being made.

Yup.

Oh, and about the parcel data? It's too big for the value it
creates. I say this precisely because I created import files for
Oneida County's parcels, and ... it was too big for the value it
created. It's more useful as an overlay, like you see at
http://tile.osm.osuosl.org/tiles/ny_oneida_parcels_2008/preview.html#14/43.1839/-75.4517

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog