Peter Dobratz <pe...@dobratz.us> writes:

> On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM, Martijn van Exel <m...@rtijn.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/29696644
>>
>> What gives? Looks like an undesired / undesirable side effect of a
>> MassGIS import.
>>
>> Requires further investigation? Doesn't look like it's rendered, but
>> it looks like it has very little ground truth to it either, apart from
>> the weird tagging.
>
> If you look at the history, the highway=primary tag was added by theflash
> (a user with exactly 2 changesets).  So I would say that that definitely is
> an error.

Agreed; that's a bug.

> I would say that this entire polygon should be removed since it is really
> trying to describe a linear feature, which we model in OSM using (unclosed)
> Ways.  There are already such Ways in the database with tags like
> highway=cycleway and railway=abandoned here indicating that this is a
> former railroad which has been converted to a bicycle path.

He polygon is modeling an area (a right of way) that the town/state has
rights to as open space.  This happens during railroad abandonment, and
the land really is an area feature, even though it's long and skinny.
These areas show up on parcel maps as distinct parcels, usually.  The
problem is that this area was tagged as a highway, which it is surely
not, and that's just confused.  (It's also true that a cycleway runs
along the long linear parcel that is a ROW, which makes perfect sense.)

From imagery, this is clearly an old railroad turned into a bike path.

I removed the highway tag.

It's arguably also true that the geometry of the open-space way is not
that great.  But that's a minor issue, which is more apparent due to the
buildings import (but, a building might well not be on the lot where it
should be, in real life).  I think this way should remain until it's
ioproved, probably by adjusting from state L3 parcel data.

So I think things are now adequately ok that this is not nationally
notable :-)