Ian Dees writes:
 > Thomas, I'd caution against placing nodes every mile and tagging them
 > highway=milestone unless there's something more notable about them. Mile
 > markers could be computed from the length of the way and all the extra data
 > might not be useful.

Mile markers on railroads are not necessarily a mile apart. Nor are
they necessarily all present. Nor are they obviously numbered from the
beginning of whatever they mark. For example, the Catskill Scenic
Trail has mile markers which are left over from its being the Ulster &
Delaware railroad. They are marked "K #" which is enormously useful if
you're the railroad and want to know how far it is to Kingston, but
more of an arbitrary identifier for users of the trail.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog